Job Title: Carpenter/Skilled Craftsperson
Reports To: Director, Operations Division – Construction Services and Project Manager while on job site.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Division: Operations – Construction Services
Summary: The overall responsibilities of a Carpenter shall be to provide on-site daily support to the Project Manager to ensure the highest possible level of client satisfaction, consistent exceptional quality workmanship, effective coordination and execution of all independent contractor activities, and continual efficient production throughout the progress of the job so that the project will be completed within budget and on time.
Duties and Responsibilities The carpenter is the heart of the production department of Schrader and Company. They have an enormous and direct effect on how the marketplace judges our workmanship, our service to clients, and the perception of our overall value to the community. It is vital to the success of our entire organization that you represent yourself and us at all times in a professional, competent, and dignified manner.
Listed below are the general duties and responsibilities that provide the basis of our expectations and evaluation of your performance. Other duties may be assigned.
- Comprehends and follows construction plans as drawn and specifications as written.*
- Develops and maintains an effective working knowledge of residential building codes.*
- Carries out all carpentry labor, material handling, and job site cleanup as directed.*
- Lays out and installs wall plates and studs, headers, floor joist, ceiling joist, collar ties and rafters.*
- Lays out and frames window and door openings, and roof window and stair openings.*
- Performs all trim and finish carpentry such as coping inside corners, installing crown molding, blocking and installing countertops, hanging and trimming interior doors in pre-hung and existing jambs, installing exterior door units, and installing bookcases and cabinets.*
- Applies knowledge of transit, and determines grades and elevations for layout for foundations.*
- Utilizes a multitude of carpenter skills to include; measuring, cutting, and fitting framing and trim materials square, straight, and accurately.*
- Assembles components by nailing studs, nailing sheathing, and toe nailing joints and rafters using hand nailing techniques as well as by safely and appropriately operating nail guns.*
- Removes all ladders at the end of each work day, or ensure that they are child proofed and secured until the next day.*
- Have the ability to uphold the minimum duties and responsibilities as outlined in the “Apprentice Carpenter” job description.*
- Stacks and organizes all lumber by size and type and ensure that it is protected from adverse weather conditions.
- Maintains tools and equipment in clean and proper working order by performing preventative maintenance and minor repairs as needed.
- Assists all personnel in maintaining the cleanliness and orderliness of the job site.
- Sweeps and removes all debris on a daily basis, or more frequently as required.
- Reports all hazardous conditions or safety violations to the Project Manager immediately.
- Utilizes safety equipment and gear in a proper manner.
- Assists the Project Manager with the safe operation of tools and equipment and with maintaining a safe job site.
- Supports the Project Manager in maintaining the highest level of customer satisfaction, to include assisting with client communications as requested.
- Assists the Project Manager with supervising and coordinating the work of other carpenters, apprentice carpenters, production assistants, and independent contractors on the project as requested.
- Assists the Project Manager with evaluating and acquiring the company owned or rental tools that are required.
- Assists the Project Manager with the accurate recording of labor, material, equipment, and subcontract usage on the Material and Labor Record document.
- Strives to achieve clear, concise, accurate, and effective spoken and written communications at all times, and with all persons they are in contact with during the course of business.
- Demonstrates the strength of character to hold themselves to the highest of ethical standards in all their actions.
- Demonstrates an ability to focus apply sound judgment and common sense throughout their daily activities.
- Understands, respects and maintains privacy and discretion with regard to any and all client information and confidential and sensitive company information.
- Understands projects drawings, project specifications, blue prints, estimates and contracts/agreements.
- You will want to continually develop and improve your management and technical skills. We believe that your personal and professional growth should be ongoing, with opportunities presenting themselves to you in many forms.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Ability: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to read and comprehend blueprints. Ability to read and comprehend technical specifications. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Math Ability: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Certificates and Licenses: Valid Driver’s License.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises up to two employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outdoor weather conditions; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.